FAQ: Annual Giving at SHS
The Sterling Hall School tradition of Annual Giving contributes significantly to the quality of school life. More than ever, SHS relies on the generosity of families to ensure a superior school experience for all boys. We encourage every family to support our school annually with a tax-receiptable donation.
Our Faculty, Staff and Board of Governors lead the way with 100% participation in giving annually to SHS.
"As we look around the SHS campus, and in particular the new wing, we can’t help but feel a great sense of pride. Our small school has taken a great leap forward, and the experience for Sterling students is better now than ever. That is why we feel inspired to give to SHS."
Please join us – make this the year that you support SHS.
Wondering how your gift makes an impact at SHS or have questions about giving? We encourage you to reach out to a member of our Annual Giving Leadership Team.
We thank this year's team members for their support of SHS and leadership in our campaign:
Howard & Lisa Adams
Nitin Babbar & Adela Mall
John Cundari & Deena Ginsberg
Jonathan & Stacey Gitlin
Shawn & Kailee Mecklinger
We hope the answers below are helpful and demonstrate the impact of giving at SHS. To learn more about our Annual Giving program or speak to a staff member about your support, contact the Advancement Office.
Every student is experiencing the benefits of the new spaces and expanded facilities afforded by Building Leaders.
- Modern and spacious classrooms and expanded resource spaces that provide a "home within a home" for boys in Grades 6 to 8
- New green space, extending the outdoor learning area and improving sports and play space for all SHS boys.
- Innovative and age-appropriate furniture for all classrooms and learning spaces to support flexible learning opportunities as well as small group and collaborative learning throughout the school
- New indoor physical education space and climbing wall that will provide outstanding opportunities for athletics and fitness at every grade level
- A new outdoor commons to expand athletic activities and provide a central meeting place for our community gatherings and signature Sterling Hall events
For more details visit: shsbuildingleaders.com
With 260 current families, SHS is a small school. In order to reach our Building Leaders campaign goal and to fund the highest priority needs for the boys, we ask every family to give generously and to make SHS a philanthropic priority. Many families have chosen to make a multi-year campaign pledge, payable in annual installments. This also counts as your annual giving donation. A commitment paid over time can make a larger donation more manageable. Naming opportunities are available with a pledge of $100,000 or more, payable over time.
If a multi-year commitment is not feasible, please consider doubling or tripling your annual gift for the life of the campaign. As a small school, we need every family’s support to make this expansion project a reality for SHS. The average one-time gift from a Sterling family last year was $2,100.
2. Make your annual giving commitment now for 2016-17 and plan to make a gift each school year.
3. Give online at sterlinghall.com/giving or complete a donation card at Reception.
4. Make a gift of securities or flow through shares by requesting the details from Advancement.
5. Don’t forget to ask your employer about matching donations – this is a great way to increase your family’s support.
6. You can make a donation at any time during the school year by cheque, credit card, on your school account or by way of a gift of securities, once a year or scheduled over time.
Every gift is meaningful and helps us to reach our goal. Your support is an important show of faith and confidence in SHS. In our small, close-knit community, your support shows and has a tangible impact!
Thank you to all the families who have contributed so far this year. The chart below illustrates the family giving participation rate by grade for 2016-2017 as of February 28, 2017.