At The Sterling Hall School, the ability to ensure the health and safety of our SHS community has been our top priority during this global health crisis. Our goal is not merely to open our school safely, but to maintain safe and effective operations throughout the 2021-22 academic year.
As always, we are being prudent and thoughtful in all of our deliberations and actions. At the start of this journey, we recognized that given the evolving nature of this public health crisis, our plans must be transparent, flexible and responsive. As a small-by-design school, our nimbleness and ability to pivot when the need arises is one of our many strengths!
In order to reopen safely, we have been reviewing the recently released Government of Ontario COVID-19: Health, safety and operational guidance for schools (2021-2022) and collaborating and seeking advice from Independent School Associations (CAIS, CIS) and legal professionals. SHS’s school reopening plan for the 21/22 school year embraces our core values regarding community, character and learning, as well as reflects the up-to-date guidelines and medical advice set forth by the Government of Ontario and Toronto Public Health.
We know that vaccination policies, cohorting, physical distancing, mask use, medical-grade air purifiers in each homeroom, and comprehensive cleaning protocols - as layered mitigation strategies - provide the highest degree of safety for our boys, our employees and their families. Over the course of the year, we have been delighted to be able to provide these strategies when necessary for the safety and assurance of all.
In addition to maintaining safe operations at Sterling Hall, we are committed to providing the highest degree of excellence within our academic program.
Throughout this period of uncertainty, we have continued to transform our health and safety plans and find new pedagogical avenues and approaches to adapt and meet the needs of our boys, our faculty and our community.
To review our SHS Vaccine Policies for both the 2021-22 school year and the 2022-23 school year, please click on the links below:
Health and Safety Measures at SHS
The following Health and Safety measures have been implemented so that our boys can attend school on-campus 5 days a week, safely.
- Vaccination policies
- Self-screening for symptoms prior to coming to campus
- A mask-friendly environment provides optional masking to respect the personal safety choice for individuals enabling boys and employees who wish to remain masked
the freedom and comfort to do so.
- Hand washing stations, both permanent and temporary, have been added throughout the building
- Washrooms have been renovated to provide for additional sinks and better spacing
- Enhanced cleaning protocols
- Air purification technology has been purchased for each homeroom and shared space
- Optimized air quality throughout the school
- The Health Centre has been renovated and isolation rooms created should anyone become symptomatic in the building
- Masks, when worn, should fit properly and be comprised of 3 layers, made of at least two layers of tightly-woven fabric (such as cotton or linen), and a middle “filter” layer
HEALTH AND SAFETY MEASURES:
Please click the Health and Safety Guide to Reopening above for further details on our carefully considered and researched health and safety measures
The Sterling Hall School has implemented carefully considered and researched health and safety measures so that our boys can attend school 5 days a week safely.
To do so, our Logistics Team has collaborated and sought advice from health professionals, Independent School Associations (CAIS, CIS) and legal professionals, aligned ourselves with the COVID-19: Health, safety and operational guidance for schools (2021-2022), and participated in the Creative Destruction Lab consortium for Rapid Antigen Testing.